Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2005

A Day In The Park







Today my school took part in its annual 'Fall Foliage Day' by going to one of the local parks in the city, which is in the picture to the left (that I found online). Every year, a different location is picked where the students, profs, faculty, etc. gather together and going walking and enjoy God's nature. They generally stop for a 15 minute devotion along the way as well.

Until today, I have generally not taken part in this event. Classes are cancelled for the afternoon in order for everyone to take part, or not take part...the choice is yours to make. Usually I would stay home and relax or work on some sort of school work. But today I had to go.

My drawing class went on this outting to learn to draw nature, particularly trees. We did not venture off with the others though, but stayed in our own group to do our drawing. It was fun and interesting and I did learn a lot...now I just need to put it into practice.

The weather had been calling for a somewhat chilly day today, but the sun was out and it was actually warm, so the extra sweater I brought along as a 'just in case' was not needed. It was so beautiful to see the way the sun lit up the colourful foliage. I especially like when there are birch trees among the others, because the white bark on their trunks jump out so brightly against the darker trunks of the evergreens, maples, etc. And of course all the reds, yellows, and oranges of the leaves was simple breathtaking.

Off and on this afternoon, I was reminded of God's creativity in nature. Take for instnace the little squirrels running around, gathering food, and just playing in general. These ones are probably used to humans being around because this park is popular and many people come here, especially with children. I watched as one squirrels dug at the earth that was beneath the root of a tree, and burried his treasure in preparation for winter. It amazes me at how God created these creatures to do this sort of thing...prepare themselves for winter by gathering food and storing it so that they will have something to eat when there is no food left for them on the trees or whatever.

We got back around supper time, and I had observed something I don't think I've seen before. It was still sunny and cloudy, but I noticed that on both sides of the sun there were short little rainbows ( shaped like the bracks () though, and not the 'normal' type of rainbow). I've seen one little rainbow in the sky near the sun before (on sunny days), but it has always been rather faint and didn't last very long before disappearing. However, both of these rainbows were rather bright and lasted quite a long time...I'd venture to say at least half an hour, if not more. Anyway, hope that makes sense...it was really neat, as mostly I have only ever seen rainbows when it's been raining out. There was not a drop of rain today, so I found it odd to see these two rainbows...though maybe they should be called sunbows. It's like God showed me another part of nature today when I saw them.

All in all, today was a real nature day and I enjoyed it. Soon the snow and cold weather will be here so it's nice to take advantage of the day and spend it outside.

Well, it's rather late now, so I'm going to head off. I'm thinking the post didn't make as much sense or explain things as well as I could. Too bad I hadn't had my camera to take some pictures to share...might try to get out over then next day or two and capture some images to share. Won't promise anything though...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, shelley. thanks for the greeting. God bless.

~Jan said...

Shelly, thanks again for your fun comments on my blog. This is a follow-up on your "cat" comment; please be careful with the yarn! Several months ago, Sophie chewed and swallowed about 3 feet of embroidery floss, which wrapped itself around her intestines and couldn't be...um...passed. It took a $1500 surgery to get her back. Yes, she's worth it, but it was scary and expensive.

Keep writing...

Joe said...

Good post and BEAUTIFUL Picture.

Wouldn't you just love to sit on the bank and enjoy God's creation?

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Glory, yes that would definately be scary. I'm pretty careful with the yarn, but she still gets it. I guess what she does is more of a licking than chewing..but still, I don't want her to get harmed (also don't want cat slobber on my yarn lol).

Joe, that pic is beautiful...every fall that particular spot is a spectacular sight and it just seems to get more beautiful every year. I'm not sure when the pic was taken that I used, as I borrowed it from a google search.

Anonymous said...

:) Great post.

Glad you went! New Brunswick looks lovely and isn't it great your school has an autumn foliage day. Wish ours did!We've had an amazing autumn this year. Praise God

Danielle said...

Sounds like a perfect day! I love chilly but sunny weather, but it's been pretty soggy around here lately. A day of drawing . . . how wonderful. I remember my art professors encouraging us to enjoy the time to sit around and draw when we were in school because once we got out, it would be harder to set aside the time. Boy, were they right!

Maggie Ann said...

How beautiful your day must have been Shelley. Those 'rainbows' must have been special to see. We had an enjoyable day too, but now I am REALLY tired....so I'm going to call it a day soon. *smiles*

Jennifer said...

Beautiful! I will never cease to be amazed by God's glory in His creation. It's hard to imagine anyone experiencing that and not accepting that there is One who created it, and holds it all together.

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

That post was just an awesome example of what God gives us everyday. It's just so sad that so many people, without the Lord, miss the wonders He displays for us each day. Too bad that you couldn't get a picture of the sunbows as a rememberance. I once got a picture of a rainbow over our house. Maybe someday I'll post it. We live in a log home in the country and fall is beautiful. Sometimes I take it for granted, but after your post....not this weekend. I will enjoy it and get some pictures!

Live, Love, Laugh said...

God is the artist that paints every man's color, the colors of the rainbow and the many colors in creation.

Sounds as if you had a wonderful day, I could visual and feel it as though I were there when I was reading your post! Thanks Shelly for the short escape!