Pages

Friday, October 07, 2005

Associating With Sinners And Such

I have heard that some Christians say that it is a sin to socialize and be friends with non Christians. My thoughts on that are "Huh??!!" Didn't Jesus eat with sinners and tax collectors (who were considered to be really bad guys)? Didn't he walk among sinners offering them His healing, His ministry, His love? I'm thinking they just don't get it, these people who think this.

We need to be among non-Christians in order to share Jesus with them. It is as though they think that because we are Christian we are perfect. Well, I hate to be the one to burst their bubble (well, ok I don't hate that because they need to know), but the church is filled with sinners! We are Christian, we are not perfect. We still sin and make mistakes. The only difference is that we have One who will forgive us and cleanse us. We have someone who has given His life so that we may have eternal life. Those non-believers need this opportunity as well. They need to know about Jesus, His love for them, His willingness to die for them and be raised to eternal life. God is not willing that any should perish! We have a mission, the Great Commission that Jesus called us to.

If we don't associate with the non-believer, then how on earth are we accomplishing the Great Commission, to go into the world making disciples and baptising in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit? Just how would we reach them if we don't befriend them and associate with them? Do we just put up catchy signs outside the church, bumper stickers, wear t-shirts with a Christian message, or bracelets with the WWJD emblem and hope that would be enough to bring them to Him? Well, guess what...that won't cut it!

The way we live our lives speaks great volumes to those we live with and associate with. People should be able to see something 'different' about us. We should be living our lives to reflect Jesus to the non-believer. But if we don't associate with them, then how will they see this?

Now, mind you, there are some so called Christians out there talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. We can also be witnesses to them...reminders of what being a Christian is about. It is one thing to sit in church every Sunday singing, listening to the sermon, etc., but if we do not put into practice what we are taught then what's the point? Jesus was a man of action. He went out among the people and taught them, ate with them, befriended them. What do we do?

According to dictionary.com, one of the definitions of 'Christian' is this:
Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike

So, if we are to manifest (that is to be obvious or make clear) the qualities of Jesus we are to go among the non-believer, those who need Jesus in their lives. If we only fellowhip with each other (and fellowship with other Christians is important and the Bible tells us to do this), then how are we going to reach them?

14 comments:

Maggie Ann said...

Shelley, Your post is so edifying..we sure are to show and share the love of Christ with the lost. What if someone had never told us about Jesus and Calvary. I'm so thankful for my salvation and wish to tell others, thankyou for the reminder of what life is really about!....and yes, those tart shaped things are used in the tart-warmers (if thats what they are called?)..and they melt and make wonderful scents. Since they are electric, you don't have to worry about an open flame and they can be re-used several days. I'm thinking of getting another one for my kitchen. Blessings to you, my sister in Christ! = )

David Edward said...

the chocolate worked - I am free to blog again. Hallelujah

Royal said...

I have always believed that Jesus teaches us to be in the world but not of the world. unfortunately, the average person who has been a Christian for two years no longer associates with the unbeliever.

Jesus said, "as the Father sent me, I am senindnig you...Go and make disciples."

Ontario Emperor said...

I agree. The Great Commission is not optional, which is why I classify Ontario Christian school (in my town) as anti-evangelical.

Incidentally, I used one of your comments in Jennifer's blog and spun an entire post out of it (regarding the difference between anger and hatred). Looky here.

Live, Love, Laugh said...

You are right again! We do need to associate with non believers, I do all the time, at work, working with these boys at the Correctional Facility, when they get out, they are still many times still searching and they continually come back to me, because I have shown them the love of Christ. So again, we must shine the light of Christ so they too can receive what we have been freely given.

J. Wendell said...

Great post!

We need to be about our Masters business, the One who, "...came to seek...the lost"!

In the work,
brother John

Stephen Newton said...

Thanks for your coments, Shelley. Canada does have some very good things going for it. Mainly that Bush is not running your country like he is ours.

Joe said...

You are so right, Shelley. Jesus was chastised by the "religious" leaders because of who He associated with.

Nettie said...

I don't think there's any way we can svoid associating with non-Christians, so shouldn't we logically be a witness as we do so? Could get pretty lonely otherwise. AFter all, somebody probably led us to be Christians in the first place.

~Suzii~ said...

"Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation." Mark 16:15

Ileana said...

I totally get you. I could've written this post because these are my feelings exactly.

Anonymous said...

Heyy shelly..thankyou for telling me about your blog..Its always nice to meet new people and a bonus for it to be a christian sister. I am with you in everything you wrote in your blog. We were saved to go out into the mission field, its too ripe for the picking to be ignored!..God bless you

Paul said...

Amen Shelley,

Everyday to me is an opportunity to go out and share the reality of the Lord not so much but by what I do, what I reflect.

Each day when I go to Starbucks to write, think and read, the Lord always, without fail, has open the door for me to be able to talk to someone, to share with them and encourage them, plant a seed, to just listen.

It wants us to take out of the four walls, into the street, to be living epistles, written on of God, sharing His heart.

Again, thanks for an awesome post!

Writing for the King,

Paul

What's my Mission said...

Hey girly girl... you know I agree 100%... Awesome job making the point so clear!!!!