Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Out of the Mouths of Babes...

I was just listening to the interview between Darlene and her five year old son. Her blog is over at http://wwjblog.blogspot.com (What Would Jesus Blog). I was almost in tears (good tears) by the end of this little interview because of the innocence and obedience this little boy had in telling his friends how to have Jesus in their hearts. I am very sure that Darlene and her husband are very proud of this little boy (and their other children). I believe they are truely raising their children in a good solid Christian home.

Two verses came to me while I listened. The first one is Matthew 19:14 which says:

"Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." (NASB)

Children should not be hindered in their own search for Jesus, nor in telling others. One of the greatest things we can do for children is to introduce them to Him and allow Him to work in their lives. Hopefully early on in their lives they will accept Jesus as their Lord and personal Saviour. Children thirst for knowledge that needs to be filled. They need the Living Water! Children have as much right to this as adults.

The second verse I thought of is found in Matthew 18:3-6:

"Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me; but whoever causes one of these little ones who believes in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea." (NASB)

Why is it that adults, including myself, seem to have such a hard time to tell others about Jesus and how to obtain eternal salvation? Why are we so 'afraid'? Children speak their minds in innocence and truth. They are not hindered by the world or mankind. We, as adults tend to worry far too often about what others will think or say about the way we worship, or what we believe.

We need to, as Jesus says, become like little children. We need to humble ourselves and trust that God will work through us. We should not worry about what we will say when we witness, because the Lord will give us the words we will need. We need to trust and obey the Lord and be meek, not allowing our pride to stop us from witnessing. I know, for myself, it is something I need to work on (with the help of the Lord). I need to become like a little child.

I would like to give a big thank you to Graham (Darlene's son) for telling his friends about Jesus and for being a lesson to me in being obedient. God can and does use anyone and everyone to get His message across. In this case, He used a five year old boy!

3 comments:

Joe said...

It was a good vid, wasn't it? A simple faith in Jesus trumps a theological degree in religious philosophy every time.

Nettie said...

Exactly, I would say the best evangelizers I've known weren't because they were all fancy about it. They just have such obvious joy in Jesus that it shines through for everyone to see.

Darlene Schacht said...

Shelly, I was out of town and so I missed this post! But thank you so much. I will tell Graham.

Graham came to me today and said, Mom, if someone believes in Jesus they're going to heaven right? Right. If they believe in the devil, they're going to hell right? Right. What if they don't believe in Jesus or the Devil, where do they go? And then I explained Atheism to a five year old.