Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2005

A Day At The Cottage

Today I went to a cottage belonging to an "older" couple at the church. Actually, it wasn't just me. The lady who owns the cottage (with her hubby of course) co-teaches a ladies Sunday school class at the church, and they were invited along with a few of us "extras" that she knows. I used to be in that class, but last year I went to help teach a childrens Sunday school class.

We had a great time. The temperature was perfect, and there was a wind off the water though it wasn't a cold one. In the shade and inside the cottage it did feel chilly at times though. There were people swimming in the water (I didn't go in), some were walking down the beach, there were some sailboats/motor boats further out, kids flying kites, etc. This area of the beach, from my understanding, is pretty well only used by the people who have cottages in the area and people they know. I think, in total, there were about 20 of us at this cottage, including the six year old daughter of one of the ladies that is a little younger than me.

The couple who owns the cottage are into "brain teaser" sort of games, and we played one in which there are nine books lying on the floor (to form a square) and one person holds a pointer while another goes out of the room. Someone who doesn't know how this game works picks one of the books. The person who went out of the room does not know which book was picked and comes back after it has been decided which book is the "key" book. The person with the pointer points to various books, asking "Is this the book that was picked?" and then a yes or no answer is given. If they guess no, the other person points to another book. When the one guessing says "yes, that is the book" and they are right, they let them know that their guess is right. See, there is a trick to it but we couldn't figure it out. Someone thought it was in the way they asked the question "is this the book?", some thought it was a certain number of books pointed to first before saying "yes" (such as the yes book was the fifth book pointed to)..but none of those are right. We are still trying to figure it out...

The only thing that kind of disappointed me was that there was no BBQ. When we got together last year for the same sort of get together, we had a BBQ, and I just assumed that there was one this year as well (I wasn't the only one who thought this). So, this year we just had some rolls, ham, various salads, pickles, coleslaw as well as fudge and cake and ice cream for dessert (one of the older ladies that was there had her birthday today or tomorrow so the cake and ice cream was for that). I am not overly fond of salads. I guess it depends on what kind they are, and what was there I wasn't particularly fond of. I took a roll, some ham, coleslaw, garden salad, and a bit of 3-bean salad (which I didn't really care for much). So, even though I was disappointed that there wasn't a BBQ, I still enjoyed the food and the day.

3 comments:

Magdaleine said...

I know the trick of that game you played if you ever get tired of trying to figure it out.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Magdaleine...please, fill me in! LOL!

Magdaleine said...

Okay. Here's a hint. Next time they play that game on you, watch for a connection between where on the first book they tap and which is the "key".