Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Out And About

Today, after I got home from church, I went with my parents and my nephew up to visit my dad's sister and brother-in-law. They live in the country and it is so beautiful and peaceful where they are. This used to be where they had their cottage when they lived here in the city, but over the years they have gradually converted it and winterized it so that it has become their home. They live very close to a small river and are surrounded by trees. Mind you, there are three or four other homes (or cottages) near them.

Generally, I suppose depending on the time of year, there are lots of birds and chipmunks and squirrels around. My aunt and uncle have several bird feeders in the back yard area. The "porch" which is actually enclosed with windows and a door to go in and out (maybe more like a little solarium only there are no windows on the roof part) is where they do a lot of their relaxing, so they can watch the birds from there. It is so very peaceful and relaxing just watching the birds.

Today, there didn't seem to be as many birds around, but I did see some humming birds, a blue jay, some gold finches and a king fisher. The king fisher sits on the hydro line that crosses the river to the other side and watches for fish and will swoop down to catch his prey and then come back up on the line. He was there for about five or ten minutes I think.

There was also a chipmunk and big bushy tailed grey squirrel. The chipmunk was gathering some birdseed that had fallen on the ground below one of the feeders and stuffing his face full to take back to his home for storage. I didn't see the squirrel for long, but assume he was doing the same thing. My nephew (who is only 2) got a kick out of them and was consummed watching them for some time.

The main reason we had gone to my aunt and uncle's place was so that I could give her some of the information that I have collected on the family tree. She is interested in this as well, and was thankful for what I gave her. She showed me a picture of who we believe is my great great grandmother. She also has pictures of my grandparents (her parents) from before they were married, as well as other old pictures that I would love to have one day. However, I imagine she will be passing them on to her own children, or grand children.

All in all, it wasn't a terribly exciting day but I enjoyed it and I guess that is what counts. It was a nice drive with pretty scenery (looks even prettier in the fall when the leaves are turning colours), and I spent time with family, which to me is important...and that is what counts.

4 comments:

MaY said...

I enjoyed reading all the details on your little nature trip. How I wished I could go to one of those places..I would go wild taking pictures. LOL. Thanks for the comment btw, and I do hope you keep on writing more stuff. I enjoy reading your blogs. till next time...

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Thanks for the encouraging comments May! I've been thinking up different topics to post on but haven't had much time to sit and post. I just wish my writing was better than it is...I know what I want to say and have it all worked out in my mind, but when I sit down to write it comes out looking and sounding like it was put together by someone who has no clue what they are talking about...lol

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

May...if you see this again, can you link your blog as I forgot to bookmark it and I can't seem to get to it now...

Magdaleine said...

You wrote, "I just wish my writing was better than it is..."

Shelley, just keep writing. The more you write, the better you'll become at writing. Frankly, I don't see a problem with your writing.