Pages

Friday, November 11, 2005

Lest We Forget

Today, November 11, is Remembrance Day here in Canada. It is a day to pay tribute and honour to the veterans who fought in the various wars to help keep our country free. Below, I have copied the famous poem written by a WW1 Canadian physician who wrote this while serving in the war. His name was John McCrea, and this is his poem:



In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the
crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks,
still bravely singing,
fly,
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are
the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved,
and were loved, and now we
lie,
In Flanders fields.
Take up our
quarrel with the foe:
To you
from failing hands we throw
The torch;
be yours to hold it high.
If ye
break faith with us who die
We shall
not sleep, though poppies grow
In
Flanders fields.

(Poem taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Flanders_Fields)


So, here's to all the men and women who have served our country in the various battles through these many years. Thank you for your sacrifice in doing this so that we can live in a free country. God bless you.


(picture from http://www.okmilmuseum.ca/images/Flanders%20field%20banner.jpg)

7 comments:

What's my Mission said...

You know I love this post... I am so glad that we have a day like this in which we can take time to remember those who gave everything for our freedom!!!

Joe said...

Of course we call it Veterans Day in the lower North Americas. Nevertheless, we remember those who have served to keep us safe.

Thanks for the post.

Darlene Schacht said...

I used to recite that poem with such passion when I was young. I really love it.

Nettie said...

Must be a popular poem in Canada, I like it.

Live, Love, Laugh said...

awesome post!!! I loved it, good reminder.

Jennifer said...

Thank you to all the men and women who have sacrificed to give me the freedoms I enjoy. That is a beautiful poem.

Curious Servant said...

May God bless those who are still living despite putting themselves in harm's way for the good of others. I especially pray for those who fought in WWII and managed to stop a great evil from overtaking the world.