Pages

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Obsessed? Preoccupied?

Ok. I think I am becoming either obsessed or preoccupied with writing now. I am still working on my character profiles, though I'm learning about them each day. For example, I thought one of my main characters was a little sad and depressed, but now she tells me she isn't. She doesn't want to be portrayed like that, because it makes her look a little too 'wussy' and who would want her in that condition. So, she is showing me she has more confidence and bite than I had originally thought.

I've got about two pages written so far, though I did start about half way down the first page like we do when writing our term papers at school. I don't know if novel manuscripts are supposed to be done that way or no, so I will have to look into it. I have also jumped a little ahead and written a scene that comes not long after the story begins. I will have to go back and fill in the missing detail from the time she arrives on the scene until what I wrote today.

I think that I am finding as I write I tend to edit and try to make things as perfect as I can get. In doing this, I hinder myself from moving forward for awhile. I think I need to practice writing and not editing while I write, and then when I've written what I wanted to get written, go back and edit then and fill in little details and whatnot until it sounds right.

Jess has given me the link to a Christian writers forum, and I have signed up there. I am hoping to get hints, tips, advice, etc. from the people on the site...which is what it is there for. Jess is a great help too (I've mentioned her in a previous post, and she's left a few comments on my blog). She's a great writer and has already given me some suggestions. I have added her blog to my "Other Great Blogs" list on the sidebar. Thanks so much for your help Jess. I'll probably be an even bigger pain in the coming days with all the questions and complaints and such that I will have LOL!

I do promise though, that my blog will not turn into a day by day account of what I am doing with the writing, though I will be putting updates here I'm sure. I hope to get more posts on other topics going again too. Afterall, I don't want to bore people to death and cause them to stop reading my blog...so, with that, I am off to do some more work on my story and see what my character reveals to me!

1 comment:

Live, Love, Laugh said...

good luck on the writing, sounds like you are on a roll!!