Pages

Friday, March 20, 2009

Much Better Mood

I'm in a much better mood tonight, though I am tired. I am finding out that I should probably be going to bed earlier than I usually do. That's something I'm going to have to work on, especially since I've been a night owl since I was little!

I did my observation in the grade 2 class again today, and things went pretty well. During math, the teacher had stations and groups of 5 would rotate every 15 minutes. The station I was at was the Math Bowling one. The idea was for them to practice subtracting from 10. So, there are 10 pins and whatever they knock down is subtracted from the 10 to get the answer. So, if they knock down 3 pins, they have to say 10 - 3 = 7. The kids loved it - probably because it was a game. I think it's great that you can use games to help reinforce what they students are learning, and most of the time the kids don't even realize they are learning!

I only have one more class to observe, and that is in two weeks. There is no school next Friday (the day I do my observations) because they are having parent-teacher interviews and I don't go to that. So, after the last class, I'll have 72 hours of observation! There will be about 3 weeks after that in which I don't have to go, and on April 24th those of us doing our teacher training in the spring will meet to discuss that. I believe it is the week after that (or maybe 2 weeks later) that the actual teaching practicum starts.

Today was a pretty nice day, though it was a little on the coldish side (not overly cold though). The good news is we have had some really nice days (and a bit of rain one night) and a LOT of our snow has melted! There's still an awful lot of snow to melt though, but hopefully the temperatures will start warming up enough (and often enough) and it won't take long for the rest to melt. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I've got a busy weekend ahead of me. I have to do up my phys. ed. resource binder (I have a lot of things printed already, plus handouts from the prof) and put it together, do a comparison "critique" between 3 articles and a chapter or section of a chapter from the text book for social studies, work on my 2 articles for the group article presentation I have on Wednesday...and I think the rest can wait to be done after the weekend. What I've listed above are the main things I need to work on and get done (or some of them mostly done) first. Like I said - it's going to be a busy weekend!

Going to head off and do a little knitting tonight before bed - still need to work on the scarf for my Ravelry Scarf Exchange pal and get it sent out by April 2nd.

Hope you all have a blessed and Christ-filled day!