Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Happy New Year!

Well, 2014 is  now upon us and we have been in the new year for a little over 12 1/2 hours - at least for my time zone.

Normally I don't do anything for New Year's Eve, and I am totally OK with that.  This year, however, I got together with my BFF (I'll call her K), a newish great friend of about eight or nine months (I'll call her J), and K's daughter (whom I'll call Little K) for supper.  K and I had talked about the fact that we hadn't had a typical meal we often had back when we lived in New Brunswick - meatballs and roasties (which is simply roasted potato pieces).  Almost every week, before I moved to British Columbia (she moved here a year later), we would get together, often with another friend of ours, F, and catch up on our weeks.  We would have meatballs and roasties, knit or cross-stitch, and watch movies - or sometimes play the Wii.

So, we decided to get together for New Year's Eve and have a meal of roasties and meatballs, and we wanted to invite J as well.  We also thought that since there were a few others from work who had not gone home to their families in other provinces for the Christmas break, we'd invite them over for a games night and ring in the new year.  So, four others joined up later in the evening (a fifth was invited but didn't show up and never responded to the texts that were sent to all of them).  We played some really great games - some of which were new to me. I'll have to get the names of them from the others and see about getting those for myself as well.  We had a lot of laughs, ate a lot of yummy snacks and at midnight, we blew our noise makers, toasted each other, and attempted to sing Auld Lang Syne.  That was quite unsuccessful as none of us really knew the words to the song.  But, we had a good laugh over it.

The only downside to it all (at least for me), was the fact that my back has been bothering me somewhat over the break.  It had felt fine most of the day, but then at one point during the evening I moved a certain way and it began to act up again.  I also think I may have eaten something that didn't agree with me as I began to not feel so great.  And before you can ask, no it wasn't from drinking too much.  I don't drink alcohol at all, so it had nothing to do with that.  Today I've felt mostly better, but there are times that I'm still feeling a little queasy.  I've taken some non-drowsy, herbal, Gravol, so hopefully that will help.  I hope I'm not coming down with a stomach bug.  But, if I am, I hope it passes quickly as I have to head back to work (teaching) this coming Monday.

My plan for today is to just take it easy, relax, get some more knitting done, and possibly make some bread or rolls (I've not made rolls before, and have only made bread once - and that is by hand with no bread maker, which I don't have anyway).  In the next few days I'll have to get on to some lesson planning and do some housework as I plan on having J, K, and Little K over for supper before we head back to work - maybe on Sunday.

So, I will end for now and wish you all the best for a happy and healthy 2014.  May God's blessings freely flow upon you.