Pages

Monday, August 20, 2007

Two More Sleeps!

It's Monday. That means in two days I will be leaving Canada for a year, and heading off to South Korea. Things are starting to come together, but at the same time there still seems to be a ton of things to do - pack, call the bank with regard to banking matters (of course), getting a few more small items to take (sheets, towels, pantyhose, makeup - things like that), getting my hair cut...I've got my list started of what to pack (quite a bit on it so far), so that will be a help.

Last week we got our Korean money that we had ordered. We didn't get a whole lot, just enough to get by on until we get there. Apparently there is a place at the airport in Korea where you can exchange money. It was actually suggested to us by the company we were hired by to only take a little bit of Korean money with us, and then exchange the rest when we get to the airport; that's what we're going to do.

I've had my dentist appointments to get my teeth out. They weren't hurting or bothering me in any way, but I thought it might be a good idea to get them out while I'm still in Canada. I didn't want to get to Korea and end up having them start aching or something. I don't know what the dental system is like over there, though I'm sure they are good. Still, I didn't want to take chances - especially since I am really, really, really phobic of going to the dentist!

My face was a little swollen after the first appointment (looked a little like a chipmunk), but I haven't noticed any swelling after yesterday's appointment. My mouth is healing nicely, but I'm still taking it easy on what I eat so that I don't accidentally jab the wound with something sharp (like chips or the crust off a pizza). I'm also taking antibiotics so that the wounds don't get infected, and those will be done on Thursday.

I ran into a bit of a problem yesterday morning. My lower back got wrenched or something and it's been bothering me since. It feels like it's the muscles acting up (spasms or something), and I've taken some muscle relaxers which seem to be helping. For awhile yesterday afternoon it was rather excruciating...well, it was when I would try to get up off my bed (I had taken a little nap after my dentist appointment because the pills I had taken to relax had really made me relax - they pretty much knocked me out for a few hours) and try to walk for a bit. I was in tears. By the evening it was a little better, and I took some muscle relaxers then. It's better today, but I am still slow in standing up and walking for a bit. I hope this is all better by Wednesday - after being on a plane for nearly 24 hours, I'm sure my back would really be hurting!

This whole experience still doesn't seem "real" to me. I'm leaving in two days, but it still feels like the trip is going to happen sometime in the distant future...like in a couple of months. I've had moments of feeling a little anxious, and even scared; I've had a few moments of feeling a little excited, but it still doesn't seem like the trip is taking place in only a matter of days. I'm sure once Wednesday morning dawns and I'm putting my luggage in the car and heading to the airport...and even moreso when I'm at the airport...the excitement (and/or the fear) will really set in.

I'm trusting God in all of this, and I've been praying a lot as well. I know that He will protect me, guide me, and is going ahead of me. A lady at church told me yesterday that this is a perfect opportunity in which to trust God. I don't know anyone there (aside from the Sarah and Lorie who are going with me), I don't know the culture, customs, etc. I'll be doing a lot of leaning on God - especially when I get homesick.

Well, I must head off now and go do some packing, shopping, etc. I'm not sure if I'll get to post here again before I leave or not, but I'll try to. Until my next post, have a blessed and Christ-filled day!

1 comment:

Paul said...

Hi Shelley,

Just blogging by to catch up and see how things are going.

So you will be in Korea for a year!

Will you be be able to blog, etc from there?

I sure will be keeping you in my prayers.

May the Lord bless you!

Writing for the King,

Paul