Monday, November 09, 2009

Good News

Last week was a great week.  It started out pretty normal, but by Thursday, things started happening.  That morning, I got a call from the school district to tell me my info had finally been entered into their system and they had a temporary employee number for me.  From there, I had to log onto the subfinder system (what they use for supply teachers to get their calls for work) and make sure my info was correct, and basically let the system know I was now ready to get calls.  Within 30-45 minutes, I had my first call to supply at one of the local schools!

I ended up getting a little less than four hours of work because I was filling in for a teacher who had just received a call that morning that there had been a death in her family.  I was in a grade one class of about 16 students, and it turns out one of the little boys in the class is also in the Sunday school class I co-teach at church!

Thursday evening around supper time I got a call to supply for a full day at another school.  The school I was at has a bad reputation amongst supply teachers (and teachers and the public in general).  I was informed from Subfinder that I would be doing phys. ed., and so I dressed appropriately for that; however, when I got to the school on Friday, it turns out that they didn't want me for phys. ed., but for a variety of classes (basically I was floating around).  I was in a kindergarten class for two periods, a grade one class for two periods, helped in a grade two class for one period, and then had a grade six class for one period.

After teaching a day and a half, I felt drained.  I haven't felt that tired in so long.  Working with kids all day is definitely takes a lot out of you! 

Oh, I should add that Friday around supper time I got a call to work again for this week.  I had figured they were going to ask for today (Monday), but it is for this coming Thursday.  Here, there is no school for students on Tuesday because of parent-teacher interviews, as well as a PD day for the teachers.  Wednesday is Rememberance Day, so there is no school that day either.

Satuday was my big day.  I finally graduated from the Bachelor of Education program - I am finished with my schooling now, woo hoo!  It really feels great.  However, after I've been working a few years, which I'll need to do in order to get some money, there is an advanced literacy program that I would like to take as well.

As for the graduation, there were only about 38 students at the fall convocation.  There were some who didn't show up, so there were less than that for actual graduates.  For the education program, there were five of us graduating, but only three showed up (including me).  My mom and brother came, and that was nice.  I really wish my dad had lived long enough to see me graduate.  He was proud of me for getting into the program, and I know he would be proud of me for graduating it and getting my first supply jobs last week as well.

This morning I was up bright and early - ok, so it was actually dark when I got up (a little after six), but you know what I mean, hehehe.  Anyway, we can start to get calls at six in the morning until twelve, and then again from about 4:30 until 11:00 PM.  If we are going to work that day, we would get the calls typically between six and seven.  If the calls come later it could be because a teacher needs to leave early.  If we work the next day or later on in the week (or even in the month), we are supposed to get calls starting at 4:30. 

So, because I didn't know if I'd be getting a call this morning, I got up and took a shower and got ready just in case.  With about two and a half hours left to get a call to work today, should I get called to come in during that time, I just have to change and get a lunch (or snack) and leave.  I am finding that I am really tired though - I didn't get a lot of sleep last night from tossing and turning for awhile, and not falling asleep before midnight.  If I don't get a call in the next few hours, I am most definitely going to lay down for a nap!

Well, I've talked long enough for now I think.  I'm going to head off and see if I can get some photography practice in, or maybe do some knitting.  I'll try to get on here again this week (or maybe even tomorrow) and update you on how things are going in my walk with the Lord!

Have a blessed and Christ-filled day!