Pages

Saturday, September 05, 2009

I Saw The Sunrise - Again

I had hoped that maybe, just maybe, I was beginning to get over the jet lag. The night before last was great - I slept right through (though I did wake up a couple of times, but went right back to sleep) until around 7:00 AM. Last night, I went to bed a little later than the previous night, hoping that might help me sleep a little later in the morning. Sadly, I woke up before 5:00 AM and haven't been able to get back to sleep again.

Part of me wonders if, in fact, my problem stems from a combination of jet lag and the meds I've been taking for my back pain. I wonder if I am waking up after the drowsy effects of the meds have passed and I have no more of the drug in my system. I do know that jet lag plays a big role in my situation, though. I also know that it will take a little while for that to wear off...

In other news, since I've been back I've had a lot of time on my hands - something I'm not too used to. I've been so busy with school work, but now that I'm finished with my B.Ed. (I need to do up necessary paper work and get my internship journal and an updated portfolio into my teacher by the end of this month though), and will graduate in November, I'm not sure what to do with all this time. I've been itching to do some more photography, maybe because I did a lot while I was in Australia. I want to improve, and the only way to do that is to keep practicing.

I was looking through some photography websites the other night, and one had an article suggesting doing things like a 365 day self-portrait project, or focus on shooting only pictures of certain colours (like one day take pictures of things that are only red, or only blue, etc.), a photography scavenger hunt, or an alphabet project (shooting items that begin with a certain letter, beginning with 'A' and go all the way through the alphabet), etc. Those sound interesting, and I'd like to do something like that, but I'm afraid I'd get so far into the project and then lose interest or not have the time to take the shots.

I suppose I could pick a topic or something, do several shots and have them onhand to post at a later date. For example, if I do a 365 day or 52 week colour project, I could pick the colours I want to shoot and then take several pictures for each colour. Then, I'd have pictures for these to post on the days I can't get out (for whatever reason) to take pictures. I don't know if that defeat the purpose of these projects or not.

The idea behind these projects is to help become better at photography, as well as explore your creative side and find new/creative ways to take photos of even every day subjects. I'm not the best at photography, but I enjoy it and I want to become better and more creative with my photos - that's why I have been thinking of taking on something like this. I just don't know which type of project to try. I would also probably have to set up another blog (unless I just incorporate it in with this one or even my knitting/craft/hobby blog) or maybe start a "group" on Facebook or something where I can post my work. I also have to learn how to add watermarks to my shots so people can't steal my pictures and claim them as their own. I guess you can't be too careful in this day and age!

Well, it's nearly 7:00 AM and the sun is up. Maybe I should go see if I can get some early morning pictures of some flowers in the garden, or a spider on its web that I saw on the side of the house yesterday. Have to start practicing some time, and now is just as good a time as any!

Have a blessed and Christ-filled day!