Pages

Friday, April 06, 2012

Thirteen Down, Fifty Three To Go

The night before last I had a difficult time sleeping. I fell asleep around eleven, but woke up about an hour and a half later and couldn't get back to sleep. Thankfully, it's still Spring Break and I don't have to worry about having to get up early to go into work.

After lying there a few minutes, I decided to get up and read to see if that would help me become tired again (like it seems to do lately; I think I need my glasses changed/strengthened, but that's a story for another time). I chose to read my Bible, praying for God to speak to me through His words.

I don't think anything specifically spoke to me, but what I did decide/choose to do was to begin reading the Bible with the goal of finishing reading the whole thing by the end of 2012. Sure, I've missed the entire first three months of the year, but there is still plenty of time. And besides, just within the last month or two I finished reading a few of the shorter books (like 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Philippians, Colossians) as well as just finishing the book of Deuteronomy the other day. So, those will count as well since I finished reading them in 2012!

This is definitely a challenge in which one needs to be disciplined. Some of the books in the Bible aren't all that exciting - at least I don't think they are. I struggle to make it through the genealogies (even though genealogy is one of my hobbies), the book of Numbers, Lamentations, Hebrews...but I try to remember some advice my BFF told me she was given by her aunt one time. She said, "When you struggle to get through reading some of those books, remember that God is in the details."

That's pretty good advice - and so very true.

I should note that this attempt at reading the entire Bible is not one of meditation. It's reading. Yes, there will be times when I sit and meditate on something I read, but the exercise is to read it through. I've done this once before, in my early years as a Christian, and I know I can do it again. I've actually probably read the entire Bible more than once over the years, but I've not kept track or done it on purpose. This is a time that I want to read with the purpose of reading the whole thing from Genesis to Revelation.

Thirteen down (as of this post), 53 to go!

Have you ever read the entire Bible through? How long did it take you? Will you do it again?