I remember awhile back I tried to find five different things to be thankful for every so often. I haven't done that in quite awhile, so I thought I would do it again. So, my post tonight is to list five things that I am thankful for this week.
1. Friends. After having one of my friends pass away last week, it reminded me of the value of friendship. Friendship is not just something that is received from others, but it is given as well - we give our friendship to others. Without friends, life is kinda boring. For a long time I didn't have a best friend; it was something I had decided I didn't want. I had two best friends at different times in my life, and both of them proved untrustworthy and hurt me a great deal. Eventually we lost track of each other.
Now, I have a best friend again. Correction, I have two best friends! Jesus is my best friend. He is always there for me and no matter what I do or say, he still loves me. My other best friend is Kristina. I have only known her for about four years now and over this time our friendship has grown and deepened. We've also discovered that we are a lot more alike than we thought. I am very thankful for my two best friends and I am glad that the Lord has given both to me, and I am also thankful for my other friends too.
2. Education. I am about to graduate soon with my Bachelor of Arts in Biblical Studies. I have learned so much, and I am thankful for this opportunity that I have been allowed to have. I know that there are so many people in the world who can't get a higher education for one reason or another. I am one of the lucky ones. I don't say this to lord over anyone who might not have a higher education (or the same kind as I do), but I say this because I strongly believe that the Lord has also given this opportunity to me. If it wasn't for Him calling me to become a teacher, I would not have gone on to get this education.
3. Colours. Sounds a little weird, I know, to be thankful for colours. But I am thankful that there are so many colours in this world; so many different shades and hues. It would be pretty boring if the world were all just black and white or red and green or just yellow. Colours are everywhere - tropical fish, flowers, trees, grass, people, the sky (sun sets and sun rises), pictures, TV, etc. I am thankful that I do not suffer from colour blindness (though my understanding is that it is only reds and greens that are hard to distinguish for people who are colour blind), and that I can see such beauty.
4. My bed. I know, another weird thing. I have been waking up for a couple of weeks now with a sore back. It feels 'lame' or 'stiff' and generally after I've been up awhile it works itself out. Sometimes it feels like when I have a bad back (I think it's a pinched nerve or something) and it bothers me often at times. I think I need to flip my mattress. However, I am thankful that I have a bed to sleep in and that I don't have to sleep on the floor or out on the street. I will try not to complain of my sore back, because it could always be worse!
5. The Bible. I am thankful that I have a Bible (actually I have three or four in different translations) because there are people who don't. I am thankful that I live in a place where I am free to open it and read from it, carry it around, etc. and not get thrown into jail or persecuted for it. I am thankful that God gave us His word to guide us and teach us. I find comfort in the Bible; strength and wisdom too. For these things I am also thankful.